Butchers, Meat Cutters and Fishmongers - Retail and Wholesale
Other titles : butcher - retail or wholesale, grocery store butcher, head butcher - retail or wholesale, supermarket butcher
Butchers and meat cutters, retail and wholesale, prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale in retail or wholesale food establishments. They are employed in supermarkets, grocery stores, butcher shops, fish stores or may be self-employed. Butchers who are supervisors or heads of departments are included in this group.
Main duties :
- cut, trim, and otherwise prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale at self-serve counters or according to customers' orders;
- grind meats and slice cooked meats using powered grinders and slicing machines;
- prepare special displays of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish;
- shape, lace and tie roasts and other meats, poultry or fish and may wrap prepared meats, poultry, fish and shellfish;
- determine amount and type of meat cuts to be prepared, maintain inventories and keep records of meat sales.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program length : 1 year
To develop in the students the competencies required to integrate harmoniously into the school and work environments, to apply the rules of safety and hygiene carrying out retail butchery tasks, to use essential techniques and to perform additional retail butchery duties.