Other titles : Mason, marble;, Terrazzo, tile and marble setter;, Tile installer;, Tilesetter
Tilesetters cover interior and exterior walls, floors and ceilings with ceramic, marble and quarry tile, mosaics or terrazzo. They are employed by construction companies and masonry contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- prepare, measure and mark surface to be covered;
- build underbeds and install anchor bolts, wires and brackets;
- mix, apply and spread mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives using hand trowel;
- set tiles in position and apply pressure to affix tiles to base;
- align and straighten tile using levels, squares and straightedges;
- cut and fit tiles around obstacles and openings using hand and power cutting tools ;
- pack grout into joints between tiles and remove excess grout;
- install tile strips;
- lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs;
- mix, lay and polish terra surfaces;
- cut, polish and install marble and granite;
- remove and replace cracked or damaged tiles;
- may prepare cost estimates and orders.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program Length : Less than a year
The Tiling program aims to provide the necessary skills in order to trim, fit, install and repair surfaces such as marble, granite, manufactured granite, slate, enameled or glass and ceramic tiles as well as other similar or substitute materials. Furthermore, the student will acquire the competencies necessary to prepare the working space and surface, as well as installing, finishing and repairing slate floors. The student will also become versatile in the tiling field and will integrate harmoniously into the school and work environments.