Other titles : finish carpenter, maintenance carpenter-joiner, stage carpenter, wood frame house carpenter
Carpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood-substitutes and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements;
- prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools;
- measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes and other materials;
- build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems;
- fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware;
- maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments;
- supervise apprentices and other construction workers;
- may prepare cost estimates for clients.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program Length : One and a half year
The Carpentry program prepares students to practise the trade of carpenter in different sectors, mostly in residential, institutional and commercial construction and in civil engineering and road works. Carpenters carry out a variety of tasks, such as laying out projects and buildings; pouring concrete footings, foundations and walls; making concrete columns, slabs, beams and stairs; building wood or metal floors and walls; building roofs; setting up scaffolding and temporary structures; installing doors and windows; insulating building envelopes and various other building elements; building permanent and temporary divisions; finishing the interior and exterior of a building; building wood stairs; installing modular furniture; and coordinating, analyzing, collecting, calculating and comparing data, particularly when establishing an estimate for repairs or remodelling. They are also required to develop skills in communication, teamwork and interpersonal relationships with people outside the company. Finally they must adjust, control, handle and operate machinery and materials with precision.