Other titles : assistant paymaster, benefits and pension plan administrator
Payroll clerks collect, verify and process payroll information and determine pay and benefit entitlements for employees within a department, company or other establishment. They are employed by payroll administration companies and by establishments throughout the private and public sectors.
Main duties :
- Maintain records of employee attendance, leave and overtime to calculate pay and benefit entitlements, using manual or computerized systems;
- Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, union dues, garnishments and insurance and pension plans;
- Prepare employee payments and benefit payments by cheque or electronic transfer;
- Complete, verify and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leaves, share savings, employment and medical insurance;
- Provide information to employees on payroll matters, benefit plans and collective agreement provisions;
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
Program length: 1 ½ years
To develop the skills necessary to complete accounting tasks such as: to calculate and prepare the bills, invoices, receipts, payments, etc. of a business, to manage the petty cash, to produce the payroll, to calculate prices, to accurately complete and verify work for daily accounting tasks, to complete end of fiscal period and end of year tasks, produce income tax forms, and to create an accounting system.
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Program length: 3 years
To enable students to acquire competence in the exercise of the profession, i.e. in carrying out the tasks and activities of the profession at the level required for entry into the hob market, to help students integrate into the working world by familiarizing them with the job market in general and the fields of accounting and management in particular, to foster students' personal growth and encourage their continuing professional development, to ensure students' future job mobility by helping them to acquire career-management skills and an awareness of entrepreneurship.