Other titles : industrial designer, industrial products designer, product designer
Industrial designers conceptualize and produce designs for manufactured products. They are employed by manufacturing industries and private design firms or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- consult with client, engineers or production specialists to establish product requirements;
- analyze the intended use of product and user preferences;
- conduct research into cost, properties of production materials and methods of production;
- prepare design concepts, sketches or models for approval;
- prepare manufacturing drawings, specifications and guidelines for production and construct prototype of design;
- consult with engineers and production staff during manufacturing stage.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program lenght : 3 years
At the end of the program, the student will be more specific in measurement within the framework of a process of resolution of problems, able to include/understand the constraints inherent in the accomplishment of a project; able to gather the relevant data (market surveys, materials, manufactoring processes); able to take part in the development of the concept and the product and in the modification of existing products; able to carry out drawings for presentations; to work out models, prototypes and assemblies; able to develop and produce technical drawings and estimates in design (drawings of sets, subsets, details).