Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanics
Other titles : central air conditioner repairer, mechanic, HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), refrigeration and mechanical technician, refrigeration system installer
Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics install, maintain, repair and overhaul residential central air conditioning systems, commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and combined heating, ventilation and cooling systems. They are employed by refrigeration and air conditioning installation contractors, various industrial settings, food wholesalers, engineering firms and retail and servicing establishments. Transport refrigeration mechanics are included in this unit group.
Main duties :
- read and interpret blueprints, drawings or other specifications;
- measure and lay out reference points for installation;
- assemble and install refrigeration or air conditioning components such as motors, controls, gauges, valves, circulating pumps, condensers, humidifiers, evaporators and compressors using hand and power tools;
- measure and cut piping, and connect piping using welding and brazing equipment;
- install, troubleshoot and overhaul entire heating, ventilation, air handling, refrigeration and air conditioning systems;
- start up system and test for leaks using testing devices;
- may prepare work estimates for clients.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program Length : 2 years
The Refrigeration program prepares students to practise the trade of refrigeration specialist.
Refrigeration specialists install, maintain, repair and inspect residential central air conditioning systems, commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and combined heating, ventilation and refrigeration systems. They work for refrigeration and air conditioning companies, food wholesalers and engineering firms, in a variety of industrial environments, and in retail companies that sell and maintain these systems.
They also oversee, maintain and troubleshoot air conditioning units, refrigeration systems, heat pumps, etc. Knowledge of automatic controls, electronics and remote supervision are some of the qualifications required of refrigeration specialists.