Plasterers, Drywall Installers and Finishers and Lathers
Other titles : ceiling installer;, drywall and lather applicator;, finisher, drywall;, plasterer, moulding
Plasterers apply finish, and maintain and restore plaster or similar materials, on interior and exterior walls, ceilings and building partitions to produce plain or decorative surfaces. Drywall installers and finishers install and finish drywall sheets and various types of ceiling systems. Lathers install support framework for ceiling systems, interior and exterior walls and building partitions. They are employed by construction companies and by plastering, drywalling and lathing contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
Plasterers perform some or all of the following duties:
- clean and prepare surfaces;
- mix plaster ingredients in trough to desired consistency;
- apply, level and smooth coats of plaster using trowels, floats, brushes and spraying equipment;
- mould and install ornamental plaster panels, cornices and trim;
- spray acoustic materials or texture finish over walls and ceilings.
Drywall installers and finishers perform some or all of the following duties:
- measure, cut and fit drywall sheets for installation on walls and ceilings;
- position and secure sheets to metal or wooden studs or joists;
- cut and install metal corner beads to protect exterior corners;
- fabricate and install suspended metal ceiling grids and place in panels to form acoustical and coffered ceilings.
Lathers perform some or all of the following duties:
- prepare wall and ceiling layouts;
- install metal stud framing and furring for interior drywall or plaster walls and ceilings, using hand and power tools;
- may install acoustic tile, hangers for suspended ceilings and metal studs for composition wallboard or lath.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
- Pose de systèmes intérieurs
(Training program available in French only)
Program Lenght: Less than a year
Acquérir les connaissances, les habiletés et les attitudes nécessaires pour poser tout genre de lattis, préparer, assembler et poser tout matériel qui sert à l’installation et au montage pour des plafonds suspendus, poser des carreaux acoustiques, des éléments métalliques pour l’érection de murs et de cloisons et poser adéquatement des feuilles de gypse.
Program Length: Less than a year
To enable the students to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to apply, using a trowel or a machine, calcareous plaster work on different surfaces; to run metal mouldings; to pull joints on gypsum sheets; to do stucco work; to run plaster mouldings; to apply precast ornamental plaster work.