Police Officers (Except Commissioned)
Other titles : community police officer, crime prevention constable, peace officer
Police officers protect the public, detect and prevent crime and perform other activities directed at maintaining law and order. They are employed by municipal and federal governments, some provincial and regional governments and the Armed Forces.
Main duties :
- patrol assigned areas to maintain public safety and order and to enforce laws and regulations;
- investigate crimes and accidents, secure evidence, interview witnesses, compile notes and reports and provide testimony in courts of law;
- arrest criminal suspects;
- provide emergency assistance to victims of accidents, crimes and natural disasters;
- participate in crime prevention, public information and safety programs;
- may supervise and co-ordinate the work of other police officers.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program length : 3 years
The program aims to assist police cadets in acquiring the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to practise the occupation and to prepare them for admission to the Ecole nationale de police du Québec.