Retail Trade Supervisors
Other titles : rental agent - retail, rental clerk - retail, retail sales representative, sales associate
Retail salespersons and sales clerks sell, rent or lease a range of technical and non-technical goods and services directly to consumers. They are employed by stores and other retail businesses, wholesale businesses that sell on a retail basis to the public and in call centres.
Main duties :
- Greet customers and discuss the type, quality and quantity of merchandise or services sought for purchase, rental or lease;
- Advise customers on use and care of merchandise, and provide advice concerning specialized products or services;
- Estimate or quote prices, credit terms, trade-in allowances, warranties and delivery dates;
- Prepare sales, rental or leasing contracts and accept cash, cheque, credit card or automatic debit payment;
- Assist in the display of merchandise;
- Maintain sales records for inventory control;
- Operate computerized inventory record keeping and re-ordering systems.
Retail salespersons may specialize and act as consultants in interior decorating, home entertainment systems, computers and other products and services.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
- Commercialisation de la mode
- Business Management
(Training program available in French only)
Program length : 3 years
Former des techniciens et des techniciennes en commercialisation de la mode pouvant oeuvrer dans les domaines de la vente en gros et en détail, les achats, la présentation visuelle et la promotion : analyser le marché, effectuer des achats, assurer la distribution des produits, effectuer la mise en marché, gérer et former du personnel et assurer le service à la clientèle.
Program length : 3 years
Business management technicians will develop the responsibilities of managing a business or supervising a commercial sales team in a commercial establishment or company.
Those managing businesses work mainly in retail or wholesale, as well as businesses and specialized services in product sales services. The emplyees can be either salaried workers or independant contractors. In retail businesses, they hold a manager's title, in wholesale or specialized services, they usually hold a title of sales team supervisor.
The main responsibilities for a business management technician are to manage sales personnel, to attain sales objectives, to promote and market products or services, to acquire stocks as well as to assure customer service. As well as being responsible for the business or the sales team, these same people are sometimes called to participate in the sales of products and services.