Supervisors, General Office and Administrative Support Clerks
Other titles : Records management supervisor, Office supervisor, Administrative services supervisor
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and coordinate the activities of workers in the following minor groups: Clerical Occupations, General Office Skills; Office Equipment Operators; and Administrative Support Clerks. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors.
Main duties :
- coordinate, assign, and review the work of clerks engaged in the following duties: word processing; record keeping and filing; operating telephones and switchboards; data entry; desktop publishing; and other activities involving general office and administrative skills;
- establish work schedules and procedures and coordinate activities with other work units or departments;
- resolve work-related problems and prepare and submit progress and other reports;
- train workers in job duties, safety procedures, and company policies;
- requisition supplies and materials;
- ensure smooth operation of office equipment and machinery, and arrange for maintenance and repair work;
- may perform the same duties as workers supervised.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program length : 3 years
Specialization A: Office Work Coodination
This program is designed to develop theoretical and practical skills in management, in interpersonal relationships, and in the use of software and new areas in computer technology. It prepares students to be able to plan, organize, supervise and evaluate work in the office unit, in the recruitment and in the training of office staff. It teaches writing skills, text translation and revision, how to carry out procedures, the management of material resources and finances in an office unit, to manage a database, to manage documents and to organize seminars, conferences, congresses and other types of events. It develops their leadership skills and their sense of responsibility.
Specialization B: Micropublishing and Hypermedia
This program is designed to develop theoretical and practical skills in information technology as well as writing skills, and text translation and revision. It prepares students in the production, graphic concept and page layout of training manuals, forms, reports, publicity documents, newsletters and internal bulletins, multimedia presentatoins, web pages and other types of hypermedia documents. It prepares the students in project management. It develops in the students creativity, a sense of esthetics and to be conscious of minute details.