Dental Technologists, Technicians and Laboratory Bench Workers
Other titles : dental technician, denture trimmer-polisher, plaster moulder - dentures, set-up man/woman, dentures
Dental technologists and technicians design, prepare and fabricate dentures and dental devices as prescribed by dentists and other specialists. Dental laboratory bench workers assist dental technologists and technicians in preparing and fabricating dentures and other dental devices. They are employed in dental laboratories. Supervisors of dental technologists and technicians are also included in this unit group.
Main duties :
Dental technologists and technicians
- design, fabricate or repair dental devices including full or partial dentures, crowns, bridges, inlays, onlays, clasps and bands, and implants;
- may consult with dentists or other specialists on problematic dental cases;
- may train and supervise other dental technicians or dental laboratory bench workers in fabricating dentures and other dental devices;
- may perform supervisory and administrative functions for the dental laboratory.
Dental laboratory bench workers
- prepare plaster models and moulds from dental impressions;
- prepare wax bite-blocks and impression trays;
- cast gold or metal alloys for bridges and denture bases;
- pack plastic material in moulds to form full or partial dentures;
- mould wax over denture set-up to form full contours of artificial gums;
- make orthodontic bands from gold, silver, stainless steel or other metals;
- finish metal framework of dentures and polish and buff dentures to obtain natural finish.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
(Training program available in French only)
Program length : 3 years
Préparer les futurs techniciennes et techniciens à remplir les prescriptions des dentistes, des denturologistes et des médecins. Fabriquer ou réparer toutes les pièces de prothèses buccales. Techniques particulières: prothèses amovibles, matériaux dentaires, couronnes et ponts, montage de précision, céramique dentaire et orthodontie.