Architectural Technologists and Technicians
Other titles : architectural assistant, architectural technician, residential buildings technologist, technologist, architectural
Architectural technologists and technicians provide technical assistance to professional architects and civil design engineers in conducting research, preparing drawings, architectural models, specifications and contracts and in supervising construction projects. Architectural technologists and technicians are employed by architectural and construction firms, and governments.
Main duties :
- assist in the development of architectural designs;
- analyze building codes, by-laws, space requirements, site requirements and other technical documents and reports;
- prepare manual and CAD (computer-assisted design) drawings, specifications, cost estimates and listings of quantities of material from conceptual drawings and instructions;
- construct architectural and display models, and 3-D virtual models of architectural designs;
- prepare contract and bidding documents.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program lenght : 3 years
Architectural Technologists contribute to the development and completion of an architectural project or assist throughout its construction, as defined by the Architects Act, the Engineers Act, the Public Buildings Safety Act and the Professional Code. They may therefore produce drawings and promotional material, design construction details, write specifications, estimate construction costs, coordinate construction work, inspect the condition of an existing building, verify building compliance with laws, standards and the construction code, and contribute to maintaining the quality of an architectural heritage. The scope and the volume of tasks vary according to the type of business, and the type of work, and whether the individual occupies a salaried position or is self-employed.