Veterinary and Animal Health Technologists and Technicians
Other titles : animal operating room attendant, laboratory animal technologist, laboratory technician, veterinary, veterinarian assistant
Veterinary and animal health technologists and technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, zoos, animal research laboratories, government and pharmaceutical companies.
Main duties :
- handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery;
- produce radiographs, collect samples and perform other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems;
- assist veterinarian with animals before, during and following surgery, and by preparing surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anaesthetics and cleaning up after surgery;
- prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of veterinarian;
- counsel clients on animal health care;
- conduct and assist in laboratory research.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program lenght : 3 years
This program is designed to train students to be animal health technicians, mainly in clinical sectors and in research. The work of a technician consists of assisting a veterinarian or research worker in animal experimentation in their work. In both cases, the technician would be called upon to perform tests on the animals, to care for them and to set up the appropriate systems for the carrying out of technical aspects in animal health services.