Sheet metal workers fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal products. They are employed by sheet metal fabrication shops, sheet metal products manufacturing companies, sheet metal work contractors and various industrial sectors.
Main duties :
- Read engineering and architectural drawings, sketches and work specifications to be performed, and lay out, measure and mark sheet metal according to drawings or templates;
- Develop patterns for sheet metal using computer-assisted design and drafting (CAD) software package;
- Operate light metalworking machines such as shears, brakes, punches, and drill presses, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment to cut, bend, punch, drill, shape or straighten sheet metal;
- Operate computerized laser or plasma cutting equipment to cut sheet metal.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
- Sheet Metal Work
- Precision Sheet Metal Work
Program lenght : 2 years
To acquire the knowledge, abilities and attitudes necessary to make sketches and diagrams, read and interpret manufacturing and installation drawings, cut, manufacture and assemble sheet metal pieces, install air distribution and exhaust systems, install metallic roofing.
Program lenght : appoximately one and a half years
Acquire the knowledge, ability and attitude necessary to create and trace various patterns, cut out, making and assembling sheet and other metals, perform sheet metal work relative to the aerospace industry.